How Do I Upgrade My Home Electrical System?
Updating Your Electrical System – How, When and Why
What was the last time you tested your electrical system’s condition? If it’s been a while, then the time to inspect it is now. We should not only presume those different elements of your electrical device, such as electrical cables and explosion-proof enclosures but also work well as they begin to wear out after a few years. If you live in an old home, or your current system can not meet the power needs of your family, then it’s time to upgrade your electrical system.
How to Update your Electrical System?
- The first step is to upgrade your screen, by adding more power to your home from the utility. You can remove the original meter and circuit breakers so it can handle more power or repair an old, damaged or unsafe electrical panel or circuit breaker. This allows your electrical system to be able to distribute more power without affecting the cabling inside the home.
- The second move is to install additional circuits that will transfer the power to your rooms and appliances.
- Updating the network can also include installing new power outlets and removing the cable, obsolete cable wires and receptacles that are used.
What Risks does a Malfunctioning Electrical System Pose
There are a number of explanations why, for a few explanations, malfunctioning, outdated or defective cabling is a big problem. Some of them include:
- An old electrical system creates a fire hazard that endangers you and your loved ones. Poor lighting is one of the major causes of house-fires. When the wiring is exposed or heated, or when sparks are produced, it ignites the materials around it which eventually leads to a large fire.
- Grows the chance of electrocution. When the wiring is rusty, and there are signs of wear and tear, otherwise the electrical current can not be properly transmitted. They might have gaps in the insulation. In all these cases the risk of electrocution would be high.
- Your electrical appliances’ lifespan will be significantly reduced, as the faulty wiring will not be able to manage the power in a safe manner, as it once did, and your appliances may be cut short. Furthermore, the faulty wiring and electrical system may not have the capacity to support modern appliances which will cause your washing machines, dishwashers, and microwaves to quickly wear out.
The average energy efficiency of your house will be cut dramatically. It will also show in your energy bills apart from destroying appliances.
Signs that you Need to Update your Electrical Panel
If you see any of the signs below, it’s time to update your electrical system:
- Frequently tripping breakers
- Fuses blowing again and again
- Constant flickers or light dimming
- A tingling feeling each time you touch any electrical appliance
- Outlets warm, discolored or sparking
- A persistent smell of fire from a room or appliance
- Ungrounded two-pronged outlets throughout the house
- No ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets in various rooms and moisture-exposed areas, e.g. kitchens and baths.
Considering Electrical Upgrades and Improvements for Your Home?
At Frontline Electrical Services we love helping our clients feel safe and secure in their homes and businesses. If you are in the Benicia, Walnut Creek or Fairfield, California or surrounding areas, contact us today at 800-945-0268 (here is a map to our location) and we’ll have one of our certified specialists review your home’s current electrical grid and give you the best upgrades possible to suit your needs while maintaining the safety and security of your property!