What Time Do Most Burglaries Occur?
Knowing when most burglaries happen is a powerful piece of information. The most frequent break-in times are between 10 am and 3 pm. Instead of being guarded at night, the majority of burglars prefer the daytime to attempt a break-in, targeting homes when they think no one is present.
A home surveillance system goes a long way if you’re hoping to deter break-ins. Educating yourself on common trends, such as the most popular break-ins period, what burglars are looking for, why burglars can pick you out, and how to tell whether your house is being watched by a burglar will help avoid a break-in. Integrating methods of burglary deterrent may often be the key to preventing the burglary.
So when do these burglaries usually occur? Read more about the typical burglar and how best to keep them from breaking and getting into your house.
- Although darkness appears to trigger anxious feelings, in fact most burglars try to break in during the day. FBI.org tells us that break-ins at home are more likely during the daytime hours. Why? For what? The majority of people are at work and the children are at school.
- The majority of home burglaries occur between 10 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon according to jsu.edu. An investigative report for KGW News from Portland, however, showed that some burglars chose the particular 12:30 to 2:30 pm window so they wouldn’t be disturbed by anyone coming home for lunch and school would still be in session.
- The majority of the burglaries happen by 10 a.m. and at 3 p.m. since this is a prime timeframe in which many homes are not occupied.
- Entering a stranger’s house in daylight sounds dangerous, but for burglars it is actually a better option. Even if people spend most of their days at home, late morning and early afternoon are among the most likely times they’ll be out.
- When you’re out of the house mid-day, make sure to lock your doors and windows behind you to protect yourself from burglaries.
- Burglars know that wandering through a neighborhood or apartment complex during the day than at night can draw less scrutiny, and they know that most people are at work during the day, leaving them free to sneak in and out of a home unnoticed.
- In which season do burglaries occur most frequently? In a report from 1993-2010, with the exception of three years during that time, a study conducted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed an increase in burglary during summer months.
- Summer is a season of no worries. Shoes are taken off, windows are thrown open and vacation days are used. When we eventually relax we let down our guards. Consequently the months with the most break-ins are July and August. Understanding this, make sure that when you’re away in the summer, you take action to protect your home, whether it’s for the afternoon or the month.
- A daytime burglar sometimes knocks at your door posing as a salesman to see if anyone is home and-if they can get inside-see where your valuables are stored. In this case make sure you keep yourself safe. You don’t have to open the door to them but make sure you don’t let them inside your home if you want to do so.
Whether you’re away for the day or a week, make sure you’re taking measures to avoid your home as an unwanted burglary option.
Need to Protect Your Home with an Updated Security Camera System?
At Frontline Electrical Services we love helping our customers feel safe and secure in their homes. If you are in the Benicia, Walnut Creek or Fairfield, California or surrounding areas, contact us today at 800-945-0268 (here is a map to our location) and we’ll have one of our certified specialist analyze your home’s layout and give you the best camera security system you need to make sure your home is the most secure it can be!