How Can I Make My House More Energy Efficient For Free?

 

16 Ways to Make Your Home More Energy-Efficient

 

If we all made one eco-friendly change, we would have a significant impact on the Earth, our communities, and our bills for energy. If some of you are willing to make small changes but don't know what to do in order to be energy efficient, there are 16 things you can do in order to be greener at home. I have included improvements you can make for low-cost and big-ticket savings that you can start off.

Low-Cost Savings

  • Lower Your Thermostat

Adopt the practice of lowering the temperature on your thermostat, when away from home. Dropping the temp would reduce your monthly utility bill by just three to five degrees and use less fuel.

  • Start a Compost Pile

One doesn't need a ton of space to start a compost pile in your backyard. Compost is the product of organic waste that has been deposited in a heap or tank that breaks down over time.

  • Install Low-Flow Showerheads

The installation of low-flow showerheads increases the water quality of your home. Low-flow showerheads have a flow rate of less than 2.5 gpm, whereas most conventional showerheads use 5 gallons per minute. 

  • Seal All Windows

Consider adding weather protection around the frames if your doors are drafty. Add a silicone bead to your drywall over any cracks or apply a shrink film layer to your windows. Sealing holes and cracks is a cost-effective and easy way to reduce energy costs.

  • Limit Space Heater Use

Although electric and gas space heaters keep your feet warm and comfy in cooler weather, they aren’t the most efficient way to heat your home.

  • Turn Off Unnecessary Water

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), with minimal changes in water use, the average homeowner can save about $170 a year.

  • Replace Incandescent Bulbs

Manufacturers stopped producing 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent lightbulb in 2014 (100-watt and 75-watt bulbs were phased out already).

  • Unplug Unused Chargers

Energy vampires are often called to cell phone and battery chargers that are plugged in but not in use.

  • Don’t Wash with Hot Water

If necessary, avoid running your shower with hot water and choose cold water instead. According to Treehugger.com, 90% of your shower's power is used to heat the water, while the other 10% is used for operating the pump. It means using cooler water can save a large amount of energy.

Big-Ticket Ideas

  • Add Insulation to Your Attic

Adding insulation to your attic can help seal air leaks and improve your home’s heating and cooling costs. 

  • Install Solar Panels

While solar panels are not exactly cheap, they have become a popular way of heating water and generating household electricity. Solar panels have a lot of advantages, in the long run, because they help in saving money on energy bills.

  • Install a Storm Door

Even if you have a front or side door that is already energy efficient, adding a storm door gives you an extra layer of weather protection year-round.

  • Perform an Energy Audit

Consider hiring your home, a qualified energy inspector in evaluating your home's inefficiencies which cause waste energy. In and around your home, a licensed and qualified auditor can check for savings opportunities and identify areas that need to be improved at home.

  • Buy Energy Star Products

Energy Star products, such as refrigerators, TVs, stoves, washers and A/Cs, meet the EPA's energy-efficient requirements. Energy Star-qualified equipment uses 10-50 percent less energy than standard equipment and helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

  • Tune Up Your HVAC System

The annual change to your heating and cooling system will ensure that your furnace and A/C operate at peak efficiency, saving you money each month. By ensuring secured connections wherein parts are properly lubricated and coils are cleaned, a home heating and cooling check-up improves efficiency.

  • Replace Your Desktop Computer

Most tech experts recommend that one should replace their computers every four years. After four years, the desktop computer must be replaced with a new one or it is better to replace it with a laptop. 

Ready for Your Home Energy Audit?

At Frontline Electrical Services we love helping our customers feel safe and secure in their homes. To have your home’s wiring checked or to receive your free home energy consult and you are in the Benicia, Walnut Creek or  Fairfield, California or surrounding areas, contact us today at 800-945-0268 (here is a map to our location) and we’ll have one of our certified specialist analyze your electricity usage and give you the information you need to make sure your home is the most energy-efficient it can be!