How To Know If I Should Replace My CFL With LED?

How To Know If I Should Replace My CFL With LED?

We also know that environmentally-friendly LEDs are much better than their incandescent forefathers. But that doesn't mean you're sure you can make the switch. If you're still tumbling between LED and incandescent, there are seven things you need to know before you turn to LED power:

  • Making the Switch to LEDs Is Easier Than You Think

All you need to do is replace all your incandescent screw-in light bulbs with screw-in LED bulbs to get the benefits of LED without removing all your current fixtures. Just make sure you replace your incandescent bulb with a comparable LED, which matches the previous bulb's output.

  • LED Lights Last And That Will Save You Money

It may not seem like LEDs would be a lucrative switch at first. These are costlier than incandescent bulbs, but prices are falling. And the way you really should think about it is that the LEDs are more of an investment in the long term. So while the upfront cost could be a bit higher, it's worth the payback time. For example, if you've spent $15 on a 60-Watt equivalent LED bulb, the payback will be in a few years time.

At the end of the day, the technology behind LEDs— the diodes themselves, sinking heat, and so on — allows them to outlast incandescent bulbs in large measure. Many LEDs can last for two decades (or even longer) with average usage until they start to dim, as opposed to an estimated incandescent life of two years. LEDs also suffer more of a gradual decline than the complete incandescent burnout they experience.

There's then the amount of energy you're saving. When you replaced only one light bulb with an LED, you are expected to reduce energy consumption by 70-90%. That can save you between $30 and $80 on your bills anywhere during the lifetime of the lightbulb.

  • LEDs Use Up A Lot Less Energy

The big picture: LED lighting turns 95 percent of the energy consumed into light, unlike incandescent bulbs that transform just 10 percent of the light energy. The remaining 90 percent of energy is wasted as oil.

  • Not All LEDs Are Created Equal

Do you want to get into the details about LEDs? Energy Star is one great place to start. You can browse through their website and find lots of products they have put through the wringer and are deserving to get the famous Energy Star Tag. 

  • LEDs Are More Flexible With Light Direction

Incandescent bulbs throw light at all angles which makes it difficult to focus the light. The LED lighting is directional, so you can focus the light better where it is needed.

  • LEDs Have A Range of Color Temperatures

LEDs come in a range of temperatures in light color. The lightbulb has a Correlated Color Temperature (CCT) which corresponds to a temperature scale of Kelvin (K). The lower the number of Kelvins is, the cooler and the lighter the color. The higher the Kelvins, the fresher and the lighter the bluer.

Decide what color of light to have where it is a matter of personal preference. Great choices for general ambient light are light color that is “natural white" or “cool white." They work well for the kitchen too. Bluer, more natural light or “daylight" lamps would be best suited for reading lamps on your bedside.

  • LEDs are Dimmable, Sort Of

While most LEDs are dimmable, the quality of the LED driver and its compatibility with the control are two factors that determine the true performance of dimming. Not all LEDs will be compatible with your current dimmer switch, so get ready for a bit of trial and error. Although dimming is technically possible, be sure to double-check that all will be compliant and will operate to your specifications.

Ready for Your Home Energy Audit?

At Frontline Electrical Services we love helping our customers feel safe and secure in their homes. To have your home’s wiring checked or to receive your free home energy consult and you are in the Benicia, Walnut Creek or  Fairfield, California or surrounding areas, contact us today at 800-945-0268 (here is a map to our location) and we’ll have one of our certified specialist analyze your electricity usage and give you the information you need to make sure your home is the most energy-efficient it can be!