Do You Need an Electrician to Replace a Light Fixture?
If you have a screwdriver and you have an idea in light fixture installation, you likely think you can change a light fitting yourself with no problems. But, is it a good idea?
The benefit of hiring a professional electrician to conduct your electrical installation, repair or replacement is that you are assured of lasting results of a perfect job. This guarantees both your own security and that of your property. Nevertheless, as long as you are certain of your DIY abilities, there are certain minor electrical tasks you can conduct around the home to save time and costs.
Repairs you can do yourself
If you are confident in DIY works around the house you can perform the following electrical projects:
- Replace a simple light fitting
- Replace light switches
- Replace sockets
- Replace light bulbs or plug fuses
- Change existing light switches or sockets for similar ones
- Connect or disconnect appliances
- Replace an extractor fan with a similar one
- Install a replacement doorbell
- Repair loose wiring in plugs, switches, or light fittings
- Change a hard-wired smoke detector
- Change dimmer modules
- Change spotlight transformers
- Re-position sockets without having to change the existing circuit or wiring
- Replace electric radiators or towel radiators with similar ones
As you can see, one of the electrical tasks you can do around your property is to install a light fitting, even if you are not a certified electrician. Performing electrical maintenance or modifications outside of those above could be a violation of the statute.
Electrical works you cannot do yourself
Part P of the Building Regulations in the UK specifies that it is a duty of a homeowner or landlord to ensure that all electrical works are safe and do not pose a risk to anyone inside the house. This is a strictly enforced legal requirement and can lead to stiff penalties for its contravention. Therefore, in addition to a Part P certified technician, none of the electrical works specified in Part P of the Building Regulations can be done by anyone.
The jobs listed below fall under Part P of the Building Regulations and should not be performed by anyone aside from a certified electrician:
- Re-wiring of faulty sockets or lights that cause tripping of the fuse
- Replacement of an outdated or faulty fuse board
- Installation of outdoor or garden lights, or sockets and light switches connected to the mains electricity
- Installation of communal hallway emergency lighting or smoke alarms
- Installation of new electric radiators
- Installation of home entry systems
- Running of new circuits
- Installation of electric towel radiators where there weren’t any before
It is best to consult a certified electrician before participating in any complex electrical tasks to prevent any problems, violation of law or risk of health. For your minor tasks, you can work with an electrical expert too.
Ready for Your Home Energy Audit?
At Frontline Electrical Services we love helping our customers feel safe and secure in their homes. To have your home’s wiring checked or to receive your free home energy consult and you are in the Benicia, Walnut Creek or Fairfield, California or surrounding areas, contact us today at 800-945-0268 (here is a map to our location) and we’ll have one of our certified specialist analyze your electricity usage and give you the information you need to make sure your home is the most energy-efficient it can be!